Choirmaster Jan Kühn founded a mixed choir for the purpose of the radio broadcast of the opera Debora by Czech composer Josef Bohuslav Foerster. The opera was broadcast on 8 January 1935 and it was first public performance of the choir that was later established as an integral part of the Czechoslovak Radio. The original name of the ensemble was the Choir of the Radiojournal. For a short while, the choir performed under the name of the Czechoslovak Choir which was changed to Czech Choir immediately after Hitler's occupation of Czechoslovakia. The name was changed once again in 1969 to its present form, the Prague Philharmonic Choir.